Thursday, August 16, 2007

Apples and Oranges..and Mangoes for good measure

Last weekend, I am at the Fresh Produce section in a supermarket - Somerset, NJ - helping my friend get his groceries. I notice heaps of golden Alphonso's ( read as Alphonsos). Happily cushioned in confetti . Stacked next to these mangoes are these bright red and yellow cartons emblazoned "Indian Nectar" with pictures of Mangoes looking like something a 6-year old would draw. ( Yup, that's our branding for you). But that's not the point. They were being retailed at USD 6/- per dozen . And Granny Smith apples from Washington being sold at USD 10 per dozen !! So the Indian mangoes grown in the bowels of Maharashtra ,trucked and air freighted 8000 miles across the globe sells lower than apples grown in NJ's backyard ( OK, figuratively speaking) . My wise friend tells me that's market forces at play . Well, I return ( to Bombay), wiser .

We go shopping to Spencer's in Bandra. ( I know what you're thinking. Between visits to grocers , I do go manage to go to office ). And Washington Apples are being sold at Rs 80/Kg. And Shimla apples - Rs 120 /kg ! More market forces at play !

Bananas , anyone ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shirty, I like your shopping expeditions. How come you spend so much time in the fruit section?

Next time check out market forces for dry fruits. I will be curious to know what you find out.

Sridhar

Anonymous said...

hi shirty,

FANTASTIC BLOG!!!!

thoughly enjoyed going thru...

will return quite often i suspect!!

other than fruits(dry or fresh as the case may be)would love to see your thoughts on digital cameras and pda's.understand you are quite a cat on these...

20something said...

me awaiting ....ur thots on kandi pachidi....or say avakai(idhi chaala hot guru!)!..plain curd rice is just too "normal" for souls like us!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.